Izzy's Blueberry and Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins, 202 kcal each.
Can be make with fruit other than blueberries (eg. raspberries), but may
require longer in the oven, and must be eaten sooner: the jucier the fruit,
the quicker they'll go soggy.
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 100g light muscovado
- 50g porridge oats (+ 1 tbsp for topping)
- 2 medium bananas
- 284ml buttermilk (or a mixture of milk and yoghurt)
- 5 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 egg whites, or 1 large egg
- 150g blueberries
- Heat oven to 180C/160C with fan/gas-mark 4.
- Place muffin cases in a tin.
- Mix the flour and bicarb in large bowl and add the oats and sugar (save 1 tbst sugar for topping). Make a well.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until smooth.
- Stir the buttermilk, oil, and egg whites in with the mashed bananas.
- Pour the liquid into the well and stir quickly and sparingly with a wooden spoon. The mixture should look lumpy and unmixed.
- Add the blueberries and give one last stir.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and sprinkle with oats and sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Leave out until cool.