Serves 8. Takes 30 mins. You’ll need:
Check your stocks of butter, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, sugar, red wine, and cornstarch.
- Slice the onions (finely, radially).
- Melt 50g butter in a frying pan.
- Dump in the onions and fry on medium-high for 5 mins.
- Put beef stock in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in 2 tsp sugar and fry for another 5 mins.
- When they’re golden brown, pour in a few glugs of red wine and reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the herbs, 1 tsp mustard, and 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce.
- When the liquid is reduced, sprinkle over 1 tbsp cornstarch and stir.
- Pour in the stock. Salt and pepper to taste.