Serves 2. Takes 30 mins.
- 250g beef steak - make it a fairly tender cut
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 150g mushrooms (brown or white)
- 1 tbsp flour (plain)
- 1 stock cube (or 200ml beef stock if you have it)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 80ml sour cream
- 80ml cream (35% fat seems to work well)
- 30g butter
- Rice or pasta to accompany
- Finely dice the garlic.
- Melt butter in wok on lowish heat.
- Fry garlic.
- Dice the onion.
- Add to wok and sautee.
- Slice the mushrooms (no need to de-stem).
- Add to wok and brown.
- Prepare the beef:
- Pound to flatten
- Season with plenty of salt & pepper
- Slice thinly
- Put plenty of oil in a frying pan and get it nice and hot.
- Fry the beef up quickly.
- When browned, remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl:
- Mix flour, stock cube, mustard, worcestershire sauce with cold water.
- Add 200ml hot water.
- Add sour cream.
- Throw it all into the wok
- Add cream until desired consistency
title Beef stroganoff
Melt butter :a1, 00:00, 1m
Sautee onions and garlic :done, a2, after a1, 5m
Add the mushrooms and sautee until brown :done, a3, after a2, 15m
Sprinkle flour over and sautee some more :a4, after a3, 1m
Add the stock, mustard, worcestershire sauce :a5, after c2 a4, 30s
Add the cream :a6, after a5, 30s
Mix the sour cream with sauce and add :a7, after a6, 30s
Add the beef :a8, after b2 a7, 30s
section Frying pan
Heat some oil to a high temperature :done, b1, 00:00, 2m
Quickly fry the beef in batches :b2, after b1, 6m
Boil water :done, c1, 00:16, 5m
Make stock :c2, after c1, 1m
section Pressure cooker
Wash rice :d1, 00:00, 4m
Steam rice :done, d2, after d1, 20m
(grey = mostly unattended)