Sunday roast (WIP)
The night before: salt the beef generously on all sides, cover with plastic,
and put in the fridge.
- Take the beef out of the fridge.
- Start pre-heating the oven to 190C fan.
- Prepare the trivet: Wash and roughly chop the veggies (1 onion, 1 carrot,
1 stick celery). Crush 1/2 bulb garlic. Arrange in a baking tray with 1/2
pack of thyme and 1/2 pack rosemary.
- Coat the beef in olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Sear all four sides in a frying pan then place on the trivet.
- Deglaze the frying pan with red wine and pour into the trivet. It should
be about 1cm deep.
- Insert the thermometer probe and put it all in the oven.
- Peel and chop 2 carrots and a parsnip and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Pour over 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper, and stir to coat.
- Onto a baking tray and into the over for 30 mins.
The beef and the veggies will probably be done around the same time. Let the
beef rest on a plate. After carving, pour the juices back into the trivet.
- Up the oven to 200C fan.
- Peel 6 medium potatoes and chop into reasonable pieces.
- Par-boil the potatoes for 10 mins in salted water.
- 20g butter and 1tbsp olive oil into onto a baking tray and into the oven
briefly to melt the butter.
- Strip the leaves off 1/2 pack rosemary and 1/2 pack thyme and throw into
the butter, along with some salt.
- When the potatoes are done, let them steam in the collander for a minute
- Shake the collander to bash them up.
- Coat them in butter and herbs
- Into the oven for 35 mins
- Squashing them down with a potato masher until they "pop", turn them over,
and then back in for another 15 mins
- Fill the top two sections of a cupcake tin with canola oil and tip it to
distribute the oil evenly between all the sections.
- Into the oven for 15 minutes so the oil gets really hot.
- Beat 2 eggs and 100ml milk in a mixing bowl.
- Sift in 100g flour and a pinch of salt and pepper and beat until smooth.
- Pour into a jug.
- Remove the tray from the oven and confidently pour in the batter.
- Back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the trivet into a saucepan.
- Add 500ml water.
- Blend with an imersion blender.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add boullion if necessary.
- Strain into a gravy boat.